Frequently Asked Questions, Dual Enrollment and Fast Track

Find answers to common questions about the Dual Enrollment and Fast Track programs at Wallace State.

  • Enriches course opportunities and academic rigor for high school students
  • Dual Enrollment students are more likely to complete a college degree
  • Dual Enrollment students typically have a higher college GPA
  • Shortens the time to attain a college degree
  • Saves students and parents’ money, since WSCC’s tuition is less expensive than most universities
  • Provides students with college credit that is transferable
  • Grades earned through dual enrollment will become part of a student’s permanent high school record and collegiate transcripts

  • Be in the 10th, 11th, or 12th grade in high school
  • Have a cumulative unweighted high school grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
  • Have written approval from the high school (completed Dual Enrollment forms)
  • Possible college placement test, where minimum placement is required, specifically for college-level English and math courses.
  • Continuous Eligibility: Students who fail to meet this minimum grade requirement of a C or higher or who withdraw from a course will be suspended from the program for a minimum of one term. The one-term suspension may not be served during the summer. The student may not re-enroll until the suspension has been served. For re-entry, the student must reapply to the program and must meet the minimum grade point average requirement of 2.5 or higher.

The first step to participate in any dual enrollment program is to apply for Admissions to Wallace State. You can begin that process by clicking the link found here: Apply Now

Tuition charges are calculated by credit hour, and most courses are usually 3 to 4 credit hours each. Students may review the tuition charges as outlined in the Current Course Schedule which can be found on the WSCC website at: Tuition and Fees

Traditional financial aid is not available for students enrolled under the Dual Enrollment/ Dual Credit Program. Federal government regulations require students to have a high school diploma or GED to qualify for any form of financial aid; however, Alabama families who are recipients of the fully-funded PACT Program may apply these funds towards Dual Enrollment Dual Credit Courses. Career Technical Scholarships are available for students in specific Career/Technical programs.

Students complete the appropriate permission form or application and return that to their high school counselor. The Dual Enrollment Office will then use these forms to register students in courses. Dual Enrollment students cannot register or drop themselves from courses and need to go through a representative in the Dual Enrollment Office in order to do so.

Any college-level courses in English, foreign languages, mathematics, science, or social science; any career/technical courses; or any other courses agreed upon by the school system and the college are open to eligible students. Students must meet the course prerequisites prior to enrollment. This program does not include physical education courses or any courses taken on an audit basis. 

Prerequisites may be met by completion of the Accuplacer and/or minimum levels on the ACT or SAT in English and Mathematics. Contact the Placement Office in order to schedule a test or for more information at: Placement Testing

Wallace State Community College is fully accredited by the Southern Associated of Colleges and Schools; therefore, most all of our courses will transfer to other schools or four-year institutions. However, to determine the transferability of courses that may be taken, visit the Alabama Transfers page for more information at

The WSCC Hanceville and Oneonta campuses offer courses that are eligible for the Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit Program. Students should refer to the College’s current course schedule and consult with the Dual Enrollment Office or Advising Centers for information on the dates, times, and locations of courses. WSCC has course offerings at selected high schools in the area. Students must discuss all options with their high school or home school counselor before proceeding. Online classes are an option in some cases.

After final grades are posted, a grade report will be sent to the student’s high school counselor/designee for the course(s) taken.